Got kids? Shaarei Shomayim has programs!
Every Shabbat and Yom Tov we offer four separate programs for kids aged two to twelve. Each program is unique and includes a great mix of davening, fun activities and yummy treats. The programs run from 10 am – noon.
On special winter Friday nights, we have the popular Kinderminyan (a kid-friendly service for families with small children) led by Rabbi Strauchler.
In addition, our regular young leadership (young families, young couples and singles) Shabbat meals include special kids’ programming.
Weekly Shabbat & Holiday Programs
All youth programming takes place in our youth wing on the west side of our building’s lower level. Room assignments are posted at the entry to the youth wing.
- Stay and Play: The Stay and Play program is for parent(s) and their babies/todlers to hang out.
- Sr. Kindergarten / Grade 1: The nursery is a drop-off program that includes free play with a wide variety of preschool toys, books and games, story time as well as snack.
- Grades 2 & 3: This program involves a mix of davening and play. Children move between three activities: tefilla (prayer), tochnit (fun activity), and parsha (learning activity relating to the weekly Torah portion).
- Grades 4 & 5: This program involves a mix of davening and fun. Children move from three activities: tefilla (prayer), tochnit (fun activity), and parsha (learning activity relating to the weekly Torah portion). We focus on davening skills, fun activities, and conversations on the Torah and its values.
- Grades 6 & 7: This program involves tefilla (prayer), games, and discussion. We focus on davening skills, fun activities, and conversations on the Torah and its values.
- Teen programs (ages 12 - 18): Their is a teen minyan run every Shabbat in the Weinbaum Beit Midrash. Our teens also meet throughout the year to lead our youth groups and for special events, including teen-run shabbatons, Friday night tisches, kumsitz in the sukkah, Shavuot night learning, shiurim at the rabbi’s home, and much more.
Shaarei Shomayim Youth programs from this past year include great holiday programming (Purim Carnival and Little-Kids Carnival, Shavuot Ice Cream Party and Puppet Show, Chanukah Party with Gift Wrapping Toy Drive, Sukkah Hop, Simchat Torah Acrobats), and after-school programming (featuring art, karate, Sports, music, and more).
There are several teen events throughout the year, including special minyanim, onegs, and gatherings at members’ homes in the community to mark special events or speakers.
Shaarei Shomayim proudly participates in UJA’s annual Shabbat Itanu, welcoming the Camp Aim Shabbaton to our community with programming for children of all abilities. Shabbat Itanu is an opportunity for synagogues to demonstrate their commitment to furthering the goal of true inclusion in our community.
Each spring, several students from our community attend the March of the Living in Poland and Israel. Upon their return, Shaarei Shomayim presents the March of the Living Shabbat where we hear from the youth and their chaperones about this remarkable experience.
Holidays present additional time for youth engagement in shul life. Shaarei Shomayim has a wonderful calendar of youth programming for holidays – in particular, over Purim – and culminating in Tikkun Layl Shavuot learning for families.
In wintertime, the shul is filled with Parent-Child learning each Saturday night.